Saturday, October 2, 2010

Prayers and Hairs

It's been awhile since there have been some serious Mel antics.  I feel like I am waiting in the calm before the storm.

Other than attempting to ingest my blooming violets and laying on my freshly dried, clean clothes in the dryer (her favorite naughty thing to do), things have been pretty mild.

Although we are back to the 4am Mel tornadoes around the condo during which she enjoys jumping up on the bed, running around the room, flying back up onto the bed, and chewing on my hair.  This is by far the strangest Mel behavior I have ever encountered (thus far anyway, I hesitate to make any definitive statement about Melody).

Mel and I have actually been praying together.  There's a saying about cats and their recognition of positive vs. negative energy and "filling the void" when too much negative energy is present or "boosting" the positive energy.  When I was sick last year, Mel seemed to always know where my pain is and then position herself on that place.  She even learned that she couldn't lay on my right side where my ostomy bag was and where they had made the incision to perform surgery.  She remains intuitive about my moods or if I'm not feeling well.  Besides friends, cats are the best medicine.

This past week has been tough - in fact typing out the word "week" seems so disconnected because the past week has felt like months.  A good friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer.  In fact it is our buddy Buddy's Dad, Will.  Strangely one of the only people Mel ever liked, I swear she knew exactly who I was talking about the other night when I started praying for him out loud while sitting in bed.

She hopped up on the bed and curled up on my lap, shifting her weight and looking up at me with her green eyes as if to say "I want to pray for him too."  I put my hand down next to her paw and she put her paw on my hand.  It was really an amazing thing.  Once we were done, it was also like she knew.  She got up, stretched out and jumped off the bed and didn't return until the lights were out.  She has continued to sit with me when I pray for my friend at 11pm each night.  I think it is her way of putting that boost of positive energy into the prayer for Will.

Nightly, Mel and I "share" the (my) pillow.  This involves me using the far right corner (approx. 2 inches of the pillow) and her laying on the rest of it.

While very cute and charming, there are several things that happen in this scene.  Either I end up with Mel's whiskers tickling my face or ear, I end up with her butt in my face, or she chews my hair - in a fashion similar to a cow chewing its cud.  Nosh nosh nosh.  Smack smack smack.

I've never been able to figure out why she does this.  Does my hair taste good?  Is there something in my shampoo that makes it tasty?  Does it feel good between her teeth?  Is she actually trying to eat my hair like she eats my violets?  ...
...
...
...
My cat is possibly trying to eat me alive.  I knew it.

1 comment: